Can a father get joint custody if he lives out of state?

Can a father get joint custody if he lives out of state?

While joint custody is possible when parents live in different states, judges are unlikely to order joint physical custody because it's not always feasible. If parents have joint custody and one moves out-of-state, the court may transfer physical custody to one parent to avoid this issue.

How do you get full custody of a child that’s not yours?

So, this means that if you want to get non- parent custody of a child, you have to petition the family court where the child lives and show clear and convincing proof that the child should be put into your custody or that you should be granted visitation.

Can a parent take a child across state lines without permission?

If there is some type of court action involving the children (divorce, custody, visitation, child support, etc.) that is in process, then it may be illegal for you to take the children out of state, even temporarily, without permission from the judge and/or consent of the other parent.

What happens when there is no custody agreement?

If there is no custody order, both parents have an equal right to custody, and either can lawfully take physical possession of the child at any time. However, taking the child away without the other parent's consent can be held against you in court if that action was not reasonable.