Can I sue my husband and his mistress?

Can I sue my husband and his mistress?

In a few states in the U.S. (Hawaii, Illinois , Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota and Utah), people can take their revenge by suing the mistress or boyfriend for something called Alienation of Affection.

Can we file a case against the mistress?

In order to protect it, the State punishes certain forms of infidelity as defined by our laws. In this case, both your husband and his concubine or mistress will be punished under the law. You cannot file a case for concubinage against the mistress without implicating your husband.

Can I sue my husband’s mistress in Tennessee?

In Tennessee, you would not have a claim for what is called "alienation of affection" against the CA woman. However, you may have grounds for a divorce from your husband.

There are seven states that use criminal conversation or alienation of affection rules to permit the spouse to sue the mistress for compensatory damages. Additionally, the couple must live in one of the seven states to pursue a valid claim against the mistress.

Can I sue the other man for destroying my marriage?

The law allows individuals to sue others for ruining their marriages. The concept of "alienation of affections" comes from old English law when women were considered property and “a man could sue another man for stealing his wife, like when he could sue a man for stealing his horse.”

What states can you sue for breaking up a marriage?

Have you ever wanted to sue someone you believe broke up your marriage — a "homewrecker?" Well, in six states — Hawaii, Illinois, New Mexico, North Carolina, Mississippi, South Dakota, and Utah — you can. In those six states, the "Alienation of Affection" claim is an option.