What happens if you change your mind after filing for divorce?

What happens if you change your mind after filing for divorce?

If you and your spouse have changed your mind about divorcing, it is imperative that you let your solicitor know as soon as possible to prevent your divorce being finalised. If your decree absolute has already been granted, you are then free to re-marry your spouse (or anyone else) if you wish to.

Can you stop a divorce once you have filed?

If a couple changes their mind about divorcing and want to remain married, they can withdraw their divorce petition to stop the process before it begins. Soon after submitting your divorce papers to the local court, you should go to the county clerk and ask for the petition.

Do you give your spouse a copy of the divorce papers before their files?

In all states, the spouse asking for a divorce must file a divorce petition (or complaint) with the local court and complete “service of process,” by making sure the responding spouse receives copies of the divorce paperwork. In most states, the answer is no, you may not deliver your own divorce papers.

How do I file an addendum to my divorce decree?

A request for a change is made by filing a "motion to modify" the divorce decree or judgment. This motion is usually filed with the same court where the divorce judgment was issued. Many states provide forms, check with your local state and county courts to see if they are available.