How do you change a legal separation to a divorce?

How do you change a legal separation to a divorce?

Write a motion requesting that the court convert your case from legal separation into a divorce. File the motion with the clerk of the court. The clerk will provide you with the date and time for a hearing on the motion. Send or deliver a copy of the motion, along with notice of the hearing, to your spouse.

What is a conversion divorce?

A conversion divorce is the process of converting your agreement, or separation agreement, into a judgment of divorce.

Is there a waiting period for legal separation in Washington state?

There’s a mandatory waiting period of 90 days from the time you file until the judge can act on your case. Couples should use this time to negotiate the terms of the separation, including property division, financial issues, and child custody.

Does legal separation protect me financially in Washington state?

In such circumstances, the couple may prefer to be legally separated. The most common reason a splitting couples choose legal separation is to make formal financial or child arrangements just as they would in an actual divorce. Legal separation allows a couple to legally split their property and debt.

Do you have to go to court to get legally separated?

You don’t have to get formal court orders made about the arrangements for the children – you can organise informal agreements. Many separated parents have informal agreements in place about the parenting of their children.