What do I do if my ex is in contempt of court?

What do I do if my ex is in contempt of court?

If your ex-spouse is failing to comply with the terms of your divorce ruling, including child support payments, you can file a motion to hold them in contempt of court. This is an important step in enforcing court orders, so it’s important to choose an attorney with the skill and experience to get the job done.

What happens if my ex breaks a court order?

After hearing the application and considering any response, the court may enforce or vary the existing orders, warn the offending party that if they continue to breach orders they will be punished, or simply punish a person by way of fine or even imprisonment (often only as a measure of last resort).

How is contempt of court enforced?

Rule 21-7 of the Supreme Court Family Rules outlines the procedure for contempt of court applications. A person found to be in contempt can be punished by a fine, by jail time, by both a fine and some time in jail, or by something else.

Are divorce decrees legally binding?

A Divorce Decree is a Legally Binding Document Once the agreement is entered into by the court, it becomes a court order, which is legally binding.

How do you make a divorce agreement legally binding?

A separation agreement can often be made into a consent order later in the divorce process, by having your solicitor properly draft it and then applying to the court – so making it legally binding.