Do I have to give my baby the dads last name?

Do I have to give my baby the dads last name?

Whether you are married or not, you don’t have to give the baby the last name of either parent if you don’t want to, and the child does not have to have the father’s last name to be considered “legitimate.” (See the article Legitimacy of Children Born to Unmarried Parents for more on the subject.)

Can the baby have the mother’s last name?

filing for divorce online

Traditionally, children born to married parents have the same last name as their father. A child can have the mother’s surname, a hyphenated name made up of both the mother and father’s surnames, or any name the parents choose.

Can someone have 2 last names?

The use of double surnames is legal but not customary. Children traditionally take on their father’s surname (or, more recently, optionally their mother’s).

Can you choose any surname for your baby?

A mother can choose to give her baby any first or last name she likes. Baby can have her last name or the father’s. A father has no right to insist that his last name is used. A married couple can choose to give their baby any last name – it doesn’t need to be the same as theirs.

How hard is it to change your child’s last name?

Petitioning a court to change a child’s name is usually not difficult. It will require a few basic forms, which you can often download for free from the website of your county court. However, a judge will approve the name change only if it is in the child’s best interest.

How can I change my son’s last name to mine?

  1. Fill out your court forms.
  2. Have your forms reviewed.
  3. Make 3 copies of all your forms.
  4. File your forms with the court clerk.
  5. Serve the other parent of your child.
  6. Publish the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (If Required)
  7. Go to your court hearing.
  8. Get your Decree Changing Name from the court.

How do I go about adopting my stepson?

filing for divorce online

If you want to adopt a stepchild, you must have the consent (or agreement) of both your spouse and the child’s other parent (the noncustodial parent) unless that parent has abandoned the child. By giving his or her consent, the noncustodial parent gives up all rights and responsibilities, including child support.