How do I file for divorce in the state of Washington?

How do I file for divorce in the state of Washington?

To file for divorce in Washington State, you must file a Summons and a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with the clerk of the superior court in one of Washington State’s superior courts and serve copies of these papers on the other spouse.

How long do you have to be married to get alimony in Washington state?

Alimony in Medium-Term Marriages (5–25 years) As a general rule of thumb, courts in Washington State award one year of alimony for every three or four years of marriage. There is no statute or case law explicitly stating this formula, but it is an oft mentioned rule and generally what courts can be expected to do.

How is alimony determined in Washington state?

filing for divorce online

The main factor a court considers when determining the amount and duration of alimony is the value of each spouse’s property after the marital assets are divided. Washington is a community property state, which generally means each spouse will receive half of the marital assets.

At what age can a child refuse visitation in Washington?

According to Avvo, it could either be age 18 or the age when the child graduates from high school. After this date, the child is a legal adult and the parenting plan is rendered null and void. A parenting plan can be modified to allow an older child to choose when they want to visit.

What happens if a child doesn’t want to visit the other parent?

You do have to physically take the child to the place of handover as ordered by the Court. It is not enough to simply take the child to handover. If the child says they do not want to go, you have a positive obligation to encourage the child to spend time with the other parent.

Who has custody if there is no agreement?

If there is no custody order, both parents have an equal right to custody, and either can lawfully take physical possession of the child at any time. However, taking the child away without the other parent’s consent can be held against you in court if that action was not reasonable.

Do I have to force my child to visit his dad?

Some parents have asked me whether they have to “force” their child to visit. Having said that, if you have a family court order that provides for a visitation schedule, then the safest answer is “yes” you must make the child go.